Saturday, July 31

Nutritional Yeast


What is it?
I'm not quite sure.
Never heard of it.
Most likely not.
Why are you blogging about it?
Because I'm addicted to it.
Your weird.
I know. *sigh*

Amber has been eating
Nutritional Yeast for years!
She would make a nice looking meal
then cover it with this yellow stuff
and say, "Wanna Bite?"
After holding down a gag,
I would say, "NOOOOOOO YOU RUINED IT!"
Chris and I would mercilessly make fun of her.

Well, I don't know what happened.
Slowly but surely I started putting
it on my food and LOVING it!
I cover my popcorn w/ it,
sprinkle it on pasta,
shake it on salads, etc...

What happened?
What is it exactly?
And why do I like it?
So we are going to learn together
as I google & put it on my blog for reference.


Wikipedia says:

"Nutritional yeast, similar to brewer's yeast, is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is popular with vegans and vegetarians and may be used as an ingredient in recipes or as a condiment. Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast. It is commercially available in the form of flakes, or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores.


It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium. Some brands of nutritional yeast, though not all, are fortified with vitamin B12. The vitamin B12 is produced separately from bacteria and then added to the yeast.

Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of parmesan cheese. Another popular use is as a topping for popcorn. It can also be used in mashed and fried potatoes, as well as putting it into scrambled tofu or eggs. Some movie theaters offer it along with salt or cayenne pepper as a popcorn condiment."

I am not sure if mine is Vit-B Fortified. I buy it in the do it yourself bins at the grocery store. Otherwise its really expensive & comes in this HUGE container. So I buy a small bag worth and pour it in a cute reused red checked lid jelly jar. I know I need Vit-B, which is only found from eating animals. Otherwise you can become anemic. So, pass the nutritional yeast please! :-) It's a good thing I love it! :-)

P.S. I do drink a Vit-B fortified Soymilk

P.S.S. Those with a Candida problem should avoid Nutritional yeast.

P.S.S.S. &&& theres always a Vit-B supplement


8 comments:

  1. wow, good to know! do you think central market carries it? they're a lot like whole foods, so maybe in their bulk department? i'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on whether they have a health food section or not. Just don't get the large flakes (it looks like fish food - LOL!!!) get the small flakes. &&& OMG!!! I can't believe your going to try it. HEHE :-) I'm excited & FYI Ted gets mad when I put it on HIS popcorn, so I make separate bowls & don't forget the cayenne powder too! :-) Mmm spicy.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Ted got the outside trailer lights working. He came running in the house saying LOOK and opening up the living room curtains. He is so proud of himself &&& one side the trailer is red & white instead of gold & white. It looks really good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'll look for the big flakes. They have SO much stuff there, surely they'll have it! I do eat meat, but not a lot of it, and sometimes wonder if I'm getting enough protein. Even though I'm fat, I don't eat a lot and esp. in the morning...someone was tellin me "you need to eat more, you're not getting enough protein in the morns"...so maybe that'll help! Thanks for the info!
    That's so exciting about the trailer lights! WTG Ted!! oh my gosh, red and white...how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Small flakes :-) not large flakes.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. uuuuummmmmmmmmmm......... i still think its gross..lol... its smells like butt.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Chris!!! Dork!!! :-)
    Thx for the walk tonight! :-)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete