Tuesday, November 9

Sunflower Seeds

I am not sure if I have talked about sunflower seeds before, if I have, please disregard this post. But let me tell you, I love, love, love sunflower seeds. I buy unshelled roasted unsalted sunflower seeds in the bulk section of my grocery store. I keep them in a cute wolfgang puck see through container w/ locking lid in the color aqua right on my kitchen counter, to be specific, to the right of my stove, and under the paper towels. LOL!!!


I sprinkle the seeds on my salads, on a baked potato, on spaghetti, on any noodles, in my mock tuna sandwich spread, in soup (yes, really) and on open faced sandwiches. (However I do not like to eat the shelled ones that people snack on.)


So today I thought, hmm how many calories are all these seeds that I am consuming and am I really gaining any nutritional value from them? (Not that it would change my obsession with them.)


Wikipedia said: In addition to linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid), sunflower seeds are also an excellent source of dietary fiber, some amino acids (especially tryptophan), Vitamin E, B Vitamins (especially vitamin B1 or thiamine, vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid and folate), and minerals such as copper, manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, selenium, calcium and zinc. Additionally, they are rich in cholesterol-lowering phytosterols.


Yum! How fabulous!
But what about calories and fat?
A cup is 889 calories! & 76 grams of fat!!! WHOA!!!!!
Its a good thing I eat about half of a 1/8 cup of a cup through out the day sprinkled on things.


All I know, is I love them. They enhance my food and make me smile. It's the little things in life, right? :-)

1 comment: