Monday, February 14

Hearts, flowers, love, YOU day! :-)

My favorite holiday!

I love this holiday because it represents the "love" in people without all the commercialism as such w/ Christmas. And I hope it reminds all of us the importance of being heart healthy! If you still smoke cigarettes *sigh* please give yourself the best valentine of all of quitting smoking. Your heart will thank you by living a longer time.
I am most thankful this Valentine's day that my little Berry Bean aka Nina' is still with me. Nina' has been suffering with congestive heart failure for some time now. She recently turned 13 in December. I knew that she had been sleeping a lot more than normal, and last week she began gagging/coughing (associated w/ the disease.) It's because water retains around the heart. She was born with a heart murmur so this combination is hard on the little gal. On Wednesday night she was just in the kitchen eating and she came up to the couch where she began that gag/coughing and then she started gasping, struggling to walk, and fell sideways. I picked her up and thats when I noticed she was limp. This was more than a seizure, her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth and she felt light as a feather, like a rag doll. She was dead! I ran upstairs to where my husband was sleeping, yelling at him that Nina' was dead. He jumped out of bed and after examining her, stuck her fingers down her throat looking for lodged food, opening her throat than began administering CPR. Going back and forth between breathing air into her nose and mouth and pushing on her chest... minutes were ticking by... I kept saying, shes gone! shes gone! shes dead! Then I noticed her body was defecating, so I told Ted to stop and carried her lifeless body to the bathroom so I could clean up the poop. And then I started feeling movement!!! I sat her on the bathroom counter, holding her, wondering would she have brain damage from being gone for so long? It took a long time for her to come around. When she finally did, I took her back to our bad and she immediately ran over to my husband and started licking his face!!! Im so not kidding!!! Then she ran back over to me, she is a total mommys girl.
That night I barely slept, she gagged/coughed all night. On Thursday, it was seizure after seizure along w/ fainting that lasted about 30 seconds. She couldn't even walk a few feet before going into a seizure. I said to hubby, I am not going to allow her to suffer and next for her kidneys to start shutting down. We have to put her to sleep. Its the most humane thing to do. So the appt was made for Friday at 11:15am. I cried all Thursday day and night, watching her suffer with the seizures was the worst!!!!
Friday morning was more of a tear fest!!! All the way to the vets both hubby and I were a wreck! This was our boo!!!! Our life drastically changed since she entered our lives. Before we were cat people. Since Nina' we got involved in dog rescue and our house and hearts are full w/ rescue dogs all because of Nina'.
I sat in the car crying in the parking lot of the vets office until 11:15 on the dot! Then we went in. We couldn't even look at the receptionist, we just stared out the window crying. Then the vet called us in and I told him about the repeated seizures (he already knew about her dying on Wed night.) He examed her and then said, DOUBLE HER HEART MEDICINE. I was like, what?????? We are here so she doesn't suffer and now your saying to double her heart medicine? He said, Yes! She has to much vitality! This is not the time to put her to sleep! I said, what about her kidneys shutting down over the weekend? And he said, No! ---- We were in shock!
And guess what????
Even though Nina' is still really tired. No gag/coughing. No seizures! :-)
So for now, she is still with us and its the best Valentine's gift ever!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment