Tuesday, August 21

My 0 calorie soup

Once after I ate a huge bowl of sliced
cucumbers and tomatoes drizzled w/
balsamic vinegar, I was so full 
I thought UT OH, how many calories
did I just eat?

So after googling I realized it was only 30
for that huge bowl. Upon further googling
I read that cucumbers are considered
a negative food calorie,
which means it takes your body more calories
to process it than the calories in the food itself,
and a lot of women were losing weight
on negative calorie foods.
So cucumbers became my GO TO snack
whenever I was hungry and didn't want the extra calories.

But after awhile I got kind of tired of cucumbers and celery,
another negative calorie food I would eat through out the day.

So living in the Pacific Northwest we have had some chilly
days where soup just sounded good....
so I started making 0 calorie soup.

Now in all actuality the broth is like 10 calories a cup
and all of the veggies have a few calories
so its not really 0 calories, its more low calorie
HOWEVER
they are so many negative calorie veggies
and your body will be so busy processing it
that it makes this soup 0 calories.
(Thats my story anyway and Im sticking to it. LOL!) 

And it taste like minestrone! :-)
And I love minestrone soup.


In to a large stock pan
add the following:
1 carton of no-chicken broth
Do not add any water!!!!
The water from the veggies will make up your broth.
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
3 small zucchini, chopped
1 container of baby spinach leaves
1 carton of sliced mushrooms
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 head of cabbage, sliced
1 head of broccoli, chopped

Add to taste:
fresh basil leaves, chopped
(I do about a handful)
salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes,
oregano & parsley

Turn heat to high
and once it gets to boiling,
turn down to simmer until veggies are soft.


Packed up in serving sizes for the week. :-)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment