Monday, September 10

Custard Pie

I am enjoying my second pumpkin pie of the season but hubby doesn't like pumpkin pie. So I wanted to make him a pie on Sunday. He loves custard pie so I got out my most favorite cookbook which is the:
Victorian Country Sampler TeaRoom Cookbook
(I bought this little spiral cookbook in the early 90's in Arkansas on the way home from a camping trip when we lived in McKinney, Texas. All these years later and many cookbooks later its always my most favorite.)


Custard Pie

1 unbaked (9") pie shell
4 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 c. scaled milk
nutmeg

Blend eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla & almond extract.
Gradually stir in scalded milk.
Pour into chilled, unbaked pie shell.
Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until set.
Cool, then refrigerate.

The custard filling would also be really good in custard cups.
I wanted to know the calories, so I added it up.
With using 2% cows milk
the whole pie is 1,767 calories.
Pie serves 8.
Each serving is 221.
Which I think is really good.

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment